Monday, October 29, 2012

On an island... in a hurricane

Well Hurricane Sandy has arrived! It's kinda crazy to think about how I'm stuck on an island in the middle of a hurricane. At this point all public transportation has been stopped and bridges/tunnels are all closed so I definitely won't be leaving Manhattan any time soon!

I'm doing fine so far, and probably won't have any problems where I'm at. Work was closed today- the whole mall at the Time Warner shut down yesterday afternoon and was closed today, and will now be closed Tuesday as well. During all my trips up and down the stair Saturday I did get some supplies in case we lose power. Things were pretty picked over, but I got food, water (it was pretty fun to haul a 24pk of water 3 blocks and up my stairs), and batteries so I should be good!

I went to Duane Reade for a few extra groceries this morning just in case- it was pretty crazy to be out at 10am and have everything on the street closed and dark. Lots of stores had taped up their windows in preparation.



Since that little trip out this morning I haven't been outside, but I have ventured down the stairs to the exterior doors of the building to peek outside. The wind was blowing pretty loud when I was down here taking this picture- but it was even louder the next time I went down for a peek.

 
I can't hear or see the full strength of the storm from my apartment- I'm pretty protected on the back side of the building. But what I can hear has definitely been getting louder and there have been a few loud cracks/crashes- not sure what they were...

So far the power is still on, it has flickered a few times but managed to still stay on. I lost internet for awhile but it came back on- lucky for you since that means I can update the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment