Sunday, October 21, 2012

And so it begins

I got lucky. Usually when you move to a new city you have no friends... But I timed it just right so that I had friends visiting NYC when I moved there. So I guess I got semi-lucky since they left after a few days and I was on my own again ;).

I came out a few days earlier than I was going to start work to join up with some of the professors and students from the U of U architecture program. They were kind enough to let me tag along on all the architecture firm visits and introduce me to people at each firm. And instead of going back to an apartment with nothing to do at the end of the day I got to go hang with people I knew.

We visited a few firms, toured some great buildings, and ate a lot of pizza. I had New York style pizza three times that week. I think I'm good on pizza for awhile! One of our pizza nights turned into an adventure as we ventured across the bridge to Brooklyn. That's a long ways to go for pizza!




When we set out for the place, called Grimaldi's (recommended by someones friend) they didn't know it was in Brooklyn- they had just been told it was down under the Brooklyn Bridge and assumed it was on the Manhattan side. As we approached the bridge (and we were starving by this point), we got a call from some other classmates who had discovered it was on the other side... We figured since we'd already come part of the way we might as well keep going. So across the bridge we went. I think it took about 30 minutes to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge so by the time we got there we were extremely hungry. Then we got lost getting from the bridge to the pizza place. Then there was an hour long wait at the pizza place. Seriously?!
Crossing the Brooklyn Bridge. Yay! for Sonal coming to hang out with me :)

We figured this better be the best pizza we'd ever tasted. I don't even like pizza that much so it really needed to be impressive to make this trip worth it ;) Since we'd already come all that way we stuck out the wait and finally made it in. The pizza was actually delicious. And we took the subway back (much faster!).

The jury is still out on whether or not the pizza was worth the trip- but if you took the subway and planned for the wait it probably would be. That being said- the Brooklyn Bridge is worth walking over at least once. You get a great view of the NYC skyline- especially at night with all the lights. As I stood on the bridge looking back toward the city I couldn't believe that this is now the place I call home!


As it turns out- it was a good thing we took our little adventure to Brooklyn. The work I would be doing the next week was opening a new West Elm Market store- which happened to be in Brooklyn. It definitely helped to at least know how to get there!

More adventures in the next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment