Monday, October 22, 2012

The Everyday Things $$$+$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yeah, that's how much it costs here. My rent (the number which shall not be named) would blow your mind- it's certainly going to blow my wallet. But that's just the way it is here. The other thing that is going to blow my wallet- groceries. Guess how much for the food in the picture below:


Guess again.
If you guessed $20, try double. That's right. $40 for this tiny pile of groceries. I would also like to point out that those are the teeny containers of peanut butter and jam. Side note: the bread is called Bimbo bread (I mean really? Nobody thought that might be a bad name for a brand?!).

I should have taken a picture of the market. I'll have to remember to get one another time. Basically it is a tiny shop with miniscule aisles. Everybody carries around a little basket and if somebody is already in the aisle, you're stuck- there's not even enough room to slide by. It's kind of overwhelming and a little bit claustrophobic. There's just all this stuff piled high and close on all sides. Definitely just a little different than the grocery stores I'm used to! My brother, upon seeing this picture and the price, said he needed to send me a care package. You can all text me for my address ;)

Girls of the Power House- remember when we thought it was the greatest thing in the world that we had a washer and dryer in the house rather than the bottom level of the apartment complex? Well, it really was the greatest thing... and unfortunately I don't have it. It's not even in my building. Try down the street.

So my next fun adventure was to the laundromat. You'd think all those years in college using coin-operated washers and dryers would mean the laundromat was a breeze, but those things had me stumped. They probably wouldn't have had me stumped if I'd read the directions first (in my defense- in the end that wasn't what caused the problem). I put my clothes in the washer, put in my coins, pushed the button for the settings I wanted and waited for it to start. It didn't. I tried opening and closing the door, adding another coin, pushing the buttons... nothing worked. And I stood there thinking- I have multiple college degrees! I should be able to at least use a washing machine!!! I was doing the same thing with the next machine for my dark clothes, and go figure- did the same steps and it started. Finally I went and got help, the lady looked at me like I was dumb (okay I was) then came over to the machine. She jiggled the handle and it started right away. Turns out you have to reeeaaallly latch the handle. Round 1 goes to the washing machine. Don't worry, I'll win next time. I'll get plenty of practice to perfect all this!

Both washing machines working. Finally.

 
Oh and D, I'm still waiting for that care package.

1 comment: