Saturday, November 24, 2012

Things that go BANG! in the night... and the day

Halloween came and went and I failed to blog. Mostly I failed to do anything for Halloween. So this is my Halloweenish blog ;) Moving to the "Big City" can come with lots of scary things... but the things that have managed to freak me out the most? No, not leaving work at midnight or leaving for work at 5am and walking home (both of which I have done). Turns out the oft-used phrase "the city that never sleeps" is actually an accurate description of New York City! I actually feel less scared leaving my apartment late/early than I did the houses I lived in during my time in SLC-  there are way more lights and people out at all times here. It's the things that go BANG! in the night at my own apartment that keep freaking me out...

Anyway... back to the things that have given me a heart attack. #1 The radiator. Remember in the movie "Elf" (super excited that it is now the time of year to watch the movie- one of my faves!) when Buddy calls his dad about the scary thing in the kitchen making lots of noise. I have one of those. Didn't know it made noise, and definitely was not expecting it to all of a sudden make noise in the middle of the night. Here is a picture of the culprit. Looks harmless right? Ha.
The culprit. In addition to making noise it leaks. A lot. But that part is fixed now. Not the noise.

It was the night of the hurricane- I went to bed when it was late and the winds had clamed down. About 3 in the morning I was woken up by a loud clanging noise. It was so loud I literally thought it was the fire escape outside my window crashing to the ground- thought maybe the storm had picked up again. But no, it was only the beastly little radiator in my room turning on for the first time of the season. And yes, it makes that noise every time it turns on. And no, it doesn't actually put off any heat, go figure.

#2 Pigeons- the ones that live outside my building. I don't like birds and these ones keep giving me a heart attack.  At 6am one of the first mornings after I moved into my apartment I was getting ready for work in the bathroom. All of a sudden there is a white shadow in the frosted window and a strange noise. It freaked me out. I couldn't figure out what it was until another shadow came by and I realized the sound was the flapping of wings. They come every morning and it still gives me a start every time it happens.
Culprit #2 Caught in the act.

Those were my "Halloween spooky" adventures. In all truthfulness I quite enjoyed my Halloween not doing anything Halloweeny- I watched Captain America with popcorn and hot chocolate :)

No comments:

Post a Comment