Sunday, May 12, 2013

Angel Food Deliciousness

April's Iron Chef event ingredient was egg. I don't like eggs very much so that was a tough one for me. Why would I want to make a bunch of egg dishes that I eat when I have to for breakfast but will not voluntarily eat or make for dinner haha. Plus there was a catch with that nights event and the catch was this- my friend who was hosting the event didn't have gas at her apartment- meaning anything you brought had to be served at room temperature or reheated in a microwave, no stove or oven use. (They do usually have gas but a pipe had burst in January, yes January and they hadn't had gas since then. Ridiculous! The good news is they finally  have it again, and threw a delicious Cinco de Mayo party to celebrate it last week.) Being stumped by all this, I turned to my brilliant mother for advice. She's probably getting tired of having to give me food ideas for the last 25 years but she better get used to it because I'm sure I will still continue to do it forever!

After some thought (like 2 min, seriously how does she come up with these things?) she recommended an Angel Food cake from scratch. Unfortunately she'd never made one from scratch herself so she didn't have a recipe or any advice but I googled it (don't know what I would do without google!) and found a recipe with some instructions and decided to give it a shot! My friend Sabrina pitched in and helped me get the cake started before she had to leave town.

Whipping those egg whites!

It takes A LOT of eggs to make Angel Food cake.



The last thing you want to do when you've just baked a cake... flip it upside down to cool. But it must be done!

On the bright side I got to hang out here while it was cooling. Not so bad, eh?

Yum.
Attempt #1 at homemade Angel Food cake was not too bad. It tasted good, but was definitely not as tall and fluffy as it was supposed to be. I'm pretty sure I overbeat the egg whites to stiffer peaks than the soft peaks they were supposed to be- I'm used to beating egg whites with a hand mixer and it went a little faster in the stand mixer than I was expecting... Next time will be better. So now it's my challenge, attempt it again and see if we can improve! It was still delicious piled with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. Yum :) And as for the Iron Chef, there were a lot of delicious options beyond breakfast foods. Well done girls. This month: coconut. Any brilliant suggestions?


No comments:

Post a Comment