Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Faces

So lately there's been this trend that I'll call "homeless people yelling at me on the sidewalk" which I find strange and yet somewhat entertaining. Apparently I make faces at them. Although I'm pretty sure I'm not making a different face to them than I am to anybody else on the street- and most of the time I'm not even looking at them before I'm getting yelled at so don't ask me how I'm making a face at them. Apparently I'm just that skilled and they're the only ones who've noticed it. So for your entertainment, two examples:

#1 There I am strollin' down the sidewalk, looking at the map on the phone to make sure I'm heading in the right direction when out of the corner of my eye I see something in my path in the sidewalk ahead (please note that I was walking in the MIDDLE of the sidewalk). Obviously I immediately glance up to make sure I don't run into anything and get this yelled at me: "Don't look at me like that!" followed by a rant involving the words white, snob, etc. Turns out there was a man begging on the sidewalk with bags of stuff strewn about across the sidewalk- which is what caught my attention. Obviously I couldn't see my face, but I'm pretty sure I was not making an "gee I'm a snob, look at me" face, more like a "surprised, what's in the middle of the sidewalk? face." Apparently those are easily confused.

#2 There I am strollin' down the sidewalk again. (Strollin' is probably the wrong word, more like briskly maneuvering down the sidewalk- tourists stroll, locals angrily maneuver around them ;). Anyway, there I am heading to Duane Reade to get some cough drops to try and help with the world's most neverending cold (I STILL have it), when all of a sudden I get this yelled in my face "What's the matter with you?!" and then a rant about some angry glaring face or something. I continued on my way but by that point what I really wanted to say was "You. The only people who ever yell at me are beggars and homeless people. What is the  deal???" But I didn't, I just kept moving.

To prove that A. I don't always go around making mean faces at people and B. Not all homeless/beggars yell at people, there is a very nice man always begging on my route to work who always wishes me a good morning and who I always smile at. It kind of makes my morning actually- when everyone else is running around like a crazy person (because lets face it we're all running late and trying to catch the next train) it's nice to get a big smile and a "hey sweetie, have a good day!"

So the moral of the story is watch your faces. Except you can't, so just be entertained by everything that happens on the street. What else can ya do?

1 comment:

  1. Hey you can make a face at me if it meant that I got to see your beautiful face. I'm glad you are living the dream. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete