Saturday, March 30, 2013

Workin' hard

This week felt like finals week. Seriously. Oh except for the part where I got paid to be crazy busy, that definitely never happened during finals week... Would've been nice.

Here's the scoop on my real job.

Last week was quiet. I was the only person in the office for four days. And I mean the ONLY. person. for. 4. days. I know I'm quiet, but even I was craving some social interaction by the end of the week! Good thing the food delivery people kept accidentally coming to our office instead of the one next door just so I could talk to a human being (on the phone doesn't count). Too bad I didn't get to keep the food ;) To make up for last week being super quiet, this week was crazy. Hence the feeling of it being finals week. Now for what I do...

#1 Draft. Basically drawing on the computer. I either draw new floor plans of buildings we've measured or add to/change ones that have already been drawn by someone else in the office. And if you think you only need one plan for a space, think again! There are lighting plans, electrical plans, construction plan, demolition plans, furniture plans, finish plans, mechanical, plumbing... the list goes on. There are lots of plans. And then once we have plans we have to draw sections (basically cutting through a portion of a wall/building/room/etc.), elevations (drawing whats on the wall- doors, windows, molding, built-in furniture, etc.), and details (showing a "blown up" drawing of a specific connection, material, etc. to really show how its constructed).

#2 Design. Being at the entry level I don't get to do a lot of this, but I actually get to do more than I would have expected at this point which is nice. One of the perks of being at a small firm! Most of the time things are already designed when I receive the sketches to draw but sometimes I get to figure out the details and make the conceptual sketch work, which is fun. I like figuring out if everything is really going to fit/work.

#3 Put together presentations. This is where it felt like finals week. We had a big presentation this week putting together a design package for our clients to show to a developer. We had to have all of the above drawings to try to convince them this was what they wanted.

#4 Talk to the other people involved in the project. Occasionally this is talking to the client, but mostly I talk to the other architects, engineers, reps, etc. to help things move along on the project. The first time the engineers called and asked for me I was a little surprised- if they asked me any questions I wouldn't have had any idea what the answer was. Luckily they just wanted me to send them some files. I can handle that. First engineering conversation- success!

We have lots of projects, and seem to be picking up more every week which is great! Mostly residential with a few commercial projects. I'm learning a TON. Seriously, did I actually learn anything in school? I'm kind of doubting it right now ;) I've basically come to the conclusion that I don't know anything. That's kind of my life conclusion right now actually. I don't know anything, and thats okay because I have a lifetime of new learning every day! Isn't it great :)

Just workin' in my cubicle.

This happened about halfway through the month. Not cool. Luckily I managed to fix my computer speaker so I could listen to music on there.

Some days I get to upgrade from PB&J. Not often, but sometimes.

Some days I pretend like I'm a real New Yorker with my Starbucks muffin and my hot chocolate.

Some days random things happen on 5th Avenue. This is the Mitzvah Tank Parade- apparently each of those is a mobile education center/mini-synagogue.

I can't remember for sure but I think this is my "Yay! I get to see people again" face.

2 comments: