Sunday, August 25, 2013

(Ad)Venturing out of the city

You probably didn't realize this, but up until last weekend I hadn't left New York City for more than 3 hours at a time (and only a few times for 2-3 hour periods- 1 beach trip and a couple of work runs to New Jersey) since I came back in January after Christmas vacation. That's a long time for me to be in one place!

So I finally scheduled myself a vacation and went to visit my friend Sabrina in Connecticut. It was a blast! In order to get there I had to take a train from Grand Central Terminal- which was kind of exciting since I hadn't ever done that before.

Got my ticket and I'm ready to go- and ready to study for my licensing exams...
Once I arrived we grabbed dinner then did a brief walk through parts of Yale's campus. Such fun architecture there. Don't you wish we'd had this bell tower at BYU-I or the U of U?!

Sabrina's words to me: "You like that bell tower don't you? I thought you would." She was right.

Saturday morning we made our way up to northwestern Massachusetts to go tubing with a group of people Sabrina knew from Institute. We got up there a little earlier than the rest of the group did, so we did a little relaxing on the banks while we waited for them to arrive.




This is the life

Floating down the river was so much fun! It was so great to just lay back on my tube and cruise down the river while watching the beautiful scenery. It was so incredibly beautiful up there, New England is amazing.

When we realized how far up into Massachusetts we were going we thought we'd see how far it was to Vermont- why not? Turns out it was only 30 minutes to the closest town so we decided to go have dinner in Vermont, since neither of us had ever been there before. Then we thought once we got to Vermont we'd see how far it was to New Hampshire and maybe go there, but before we could even map it we crossed another bridge from the Vermont town and found ourselves in New Hampshire. That makes 5 states for me in one weekend (New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire). Impressive, right? I just had to make up for all those weekends of not leaving the city- crammed it all in to one haha.


 






 
When we got back to New Haven we had a bonfire and ate yummy s'mores. I'm pretty excited to eat more s'mores on our upcoming camping adventure!


I really love my s'mores.

Sunday morning Sabrina gave me a tour of Yale. What a great campus, I'm still wondering why I didn't go there! If only I'd seen the campus beforehand... Then we went to church, and I took an evening train back to the city. It was such a great weekend. I love NYC, but it was great to take a break from the city and just go relax somewhere else. Now I understand why people in NYC have houses in the country and visit them every weekend. I just need to be rich enough to afford that...



No comments:

Post a Comment