Monday, December 10, 2012

Deck the halls... or the streets

I was lamenting the lack of Christmas cheer in my apartment when my mom reminded me that the whole city of New York is decorated for Christmas. Good point :) It really is a magical time of year in the Big Apple. There are Christmas decorations and decorations happening all over, all the time. Including right outside my door... where they are selling Christmas trees!

Mmmm... Fresh whiff of pine tree when I walk in and out of my building :)
New York style Christmas decorating. If the scaffolding is going to be there indefinitely, might as well decorate it.
        See how the Christmas tree in the first picture is right outside my door? Yeah, well one day it got moved- to the door on the other side of the store in the picture. Think I noticed? Nope, tried to get into the building with the Christmas tree right outside the door. Couldn't figured out why my key wasn't working... then realized why and sheepishly made my way to my door.
 
I'd like to say that was the only time I've accidentally tried to get into the wrong door, but unfortunately I can't. Right next to my door is another one that looks exactly like it. And the inside looks exactly the same. Technically it is all one building from the front- there is a continuous facade on the street and only once you get inside do you realize there is actually a little alley between the buildings. Anyway, since it is all one building, the key is the same for both doors...I'm sure you can imagine where this is going. One day when I was again not paying enough attention (this is what I get for thinking while walking, apparently I can't multi-task), I walked into the building next to mine. The interior has the same finishes and is just a mirror image of my side of the building, so I didn't realize until I started up the stairs and they turned the wrong direction... Oops. But don't worry, my roommate has done the same thing. I'm sure there are plenty of others in both buildings that have done the same as well ;)
 
Now that you all feel better about yourselves, I'll make you jealous with all my fun NYC Christmas events... In the next blog posts... Coming up next: the Rockefeller tree lighting, 5th Avenue strolls, concerts, and movie parties- it has been a fun couple of weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment